Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pop Pop Pop!

Happy New Year!!!!





I don't know about you, but the last few days have been amazing!  I have been busy catching up on all of the tasty recipes i have been dying to try (more on that to come).  I think I was cruising through the December issue of Real Simple when I can across this recipe for Pop Overs.


Now, I had never made anything like this before, but the name sounded so good, and it kind of reminded me of a starter we had at this super tasty restaurant here in Chicago, The Bristol. So after a quick glance at the ol pantry, I was thrilled to see that I had all of the ingredients needed to make these treats!   Let the baking begin!


See the Bucktown Apple Pie contest mug? 

Popovers (thanks Real Simple Dec 2011, pg.270)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan (i melted 4 tbs)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 1/2 cups whole milk 
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1.   Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Brush the cups of a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with melted butter.
I don't know if my muffin pan is noon stick, but this seemed to do the trick. 

also using a silicone brush to spread the butter in the pan seemed to be a pretty good way to go.












 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, butter and salt until only a few lumps remain, but do not overmix.
Make sure all of the flour is mixed in and doesn't settling to the bottom all goo-like.
 3. Divide batter among the prepared muffin pans and bake until puffed and deep golden brown, 30 - 35 minutes.  Do not open oven door before 30 minutes  or the popovers will collapse.  Remove one to see if the underside is browned. Serve immediatley.


No joke, these things grew like this in the oven - spiral and shell-like.

ta da!

Aren't they beautiful?!

One more pic to show just how tall they grew.


Now here is the part where I admit that these actually tasted totally different than we had expected them to... Honestly, I thought they would be more bread like, and maybe taste like a croissant.  But of course with that many eggs, it would taste more like eggs than it would bread - and im not saying it was bad, it was actually quite good (I ate three).  Just different than I had originally imagined they would taste.  That happens sometimes.  Recipes turn out different than you imagine they should.


Daniel added jam to his popover.

I added Daniel's left-over BBQ.

Oh glorious BBQ.  it tasted sooooooooo goooooood!
This would be such a fun treat to make for a New Years day brunch, guests could graze and enjoy pulling these apart.  Good finger food.  Maybe its time to have some visitors!

We hope you have been able to relax these past few days, maybe you even had a few days off!  Have you tried any new recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment